Mumbai : Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has directed BMC to shift out gold units in Kalbadevi Road after local residents complained toxic fumes from the melting and polishing units were causing health issues.
Bhuleshwar resident Harikishan Garodia who met the CM at the public grievance redressal meeting at Mantralaya on Monday said almost all tge homes in the congested Kalbadevi & Mumbadevi areas have such units which are a major fire safety hazard.
” Every day toxic fumesare released from the chimneys that have risen from these units.Many locals are facing bronchial issues.” Vimal Sheth, another resident of the area told TOI.
Residents say chemicals like sulphur dioxide,nitrogen dioxide,ammonia & hydrocholic acid are used in this workshops with nearly 76 chimneys releasing poisonous gases.
Fadnavis has asked the BMC to serve these units a notice and start the process of shifting them out in the next three months to an alternative location in Mumbai itself. Officials in Mantralaya say BMC will not find it difficult to act against these units as most of them are illegal and are so violating environmental norms.However, the move did little to alleviate the anxiety of residents. They say similar orders were issued earlier too, but no action was initiated.
In 2001, there was a huge fire in one these units & 24 people were killed. After the incident, the government has said they would shift the units in one month. “But that has not yet happened” said a resident. Courtesy : TOI